Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Potatoes

Tucker had two millipedes that have lived in a tiny box in his room for months until their untimely death about a week ago. I will leave out the part about my kicking them out of the house because they generate fruit flies. Or maybe I won't cause I just said it, but my guilt is minimal. Anyway, he buried them, shed some tears and had a tiny memorial. Yes, they are bugs but we do all kinds of things for our children... do we not? So last night I went outside and saw this little plant. It was soooo not a weed, it didn't look... well, weed-ish, and I decided to investigate. Down there in the dirt was the stump of a potato and out of it springs this plant. A potato plant. FYI, Millipedes eat rotten food and that was their last supper... ok that's a little funny cause I'm about to get all spiritual in a non-Oprah straight up Jesus kind of way. God speaks thru nature. I'm not trying to get all weird and metaphysical it says that in the bible and I have seen it over and over again.... when I listen. All those granola earthy types have so got this figured but the rest of us just roam around with our eyes and ears closed to all the delicacies of life. We are covered up in too much complication to see the simple. So there is this plant... born out of rot, and death. I planted 30 sunflower seeds in that same spot this summer and got one to grow. But on accident this one spring up. It didn't even really have to try. In Mark Jesus tells this story about some seeds that fall on different types of ground. It talks about rocks and weeds and all the "stuff" that can choke out the new growth.. All metaphors for bigger stuff in the world. Worry, anxiety, business, stress, all the things that drive us nuts. I am praying this for someone right now very intensely so it's all over me. My world is emotional chaos right now. Intense and sharp... uncomfortable. But I love that little plant. It just sits there right outside my window reminding me that it can be simple. Uncomplex. Natural. And that from death and decomposition the right soil for deep roots and new growth is born. Makes me want to buy Tevas, throw on a Camelback, some granola in my Noth Face pack and hit the Appalachian Trail. Be "one with nature" and Just let God speak in the best way he does post Resurrection. Thru his creation. I just want to sit next to it, and thru tears, let it remind me that there is something bigger... and yet something so much simpler at work here. I can't sufficiently explain it, but I feel it. Thanks Mili and Multi... those were the "pedes" names.... I hear ya.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome stuff. I love it that God chooses to speak to us thru His creation, what we can see, among many other ways. I think we make the Christian walk a lot harder than it has to be at times. At least I know I do. Not that we don't have hard times or rough experiences. But when we really get down to it, being with Him is as natural as breathing.

    ReplyDelete